Monet’s Vision: Waterloo Bridge in Focus
- Dates: October 7, 2018 - January 6, 2019
- Recurrence: Recurring daily
- Start Time: 11:00 AM
- End Time: 5:00 PM
- Times: From: 11:00 AM to 05:00 PM
- Admission: Included with gallery admission: $14 for adults; $10 for seniors; $5 for college students and youth 6-18; free for children 5 and under and UR students, faculty, and staff
- Location: Memorial Art Gallery
- Address: 500 University Avenue Rochester, NY 14607-1484
- Phone: (585) 276-8900
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web Site: http://mag.rochester.edu
This small but powerful focus exhibition of Claude Monet’s Waterloo Bridge series will include the stellar example from MAG’s collection along with seven others borrowed from North American sister institutions. Monet saw the paintings both individually and as an ensemble that, collectively, expressed his sense of the essential subject—the atmosphere and colors of the fog-bound landscape of the Thames. The concurrent experience of viewing several of the series will create a special dialogue between the visitor and the works.
An exciting aspect of this exhibition is the opportunity to work closely with conservation lab at Buffalo State University. Newly-developed photographic technologies that allow close examination of the surface of the picture will make it possible to decipher more about how Monet altered his canvases from their initial rendering in London to his obsessive reworking of the canvases upon his return to France.