Meleko Mokgosi: Pax Kaffraria
- Dates: February 19, 2017 - May 7, 2017
- Recurrence: Recurring daily
- Start Time: 11:00 AM
- End Time: 5:00 PM
- Times: From: 11:00 AM to 05:00 PM
- Admission: Included with gallery admission$14 for adults; $10 for seniors; $5 for college students and youth 6-18; free for children 5 and under and UR students, faculty, and staff
- Location: Memorial Art Gallery
- Address: 500 University Avenue Rochester, NY 14607-1484
- Phone: (585) 276-8900
- Email: email@example.com
- Web Site: http://mag.rochester.edu
Meleko Mokgosi (b. 1981, Botswana) makes figurative paintings that fit together to form “chapters” in large installations that suggest stories or narratives. Pax Kaffraria depicts the history of a fictional African nation. It features founding myths and legends of national triumph. An agrarian culture develops into an industrial power and modern society. This exhibition is the first time the chapters of Mokgosi’s project are being exhibited together. The installation at MAG is a rare opportunity to be immersed in an all-consuming pictorial environment.
MAG is open Wednesday-Sunday 11:00am-5:00pm. On Thursdays, we are open late with half-price admission from 5:00pm-9:00pm.