Light Spill: An Installation by Gibson + Recoder
- Dates: March 10, 2017 - March 26, 2017
- Recurrence: Recurring daily
- Times: Wednesday-Saturday 10:00am--5:00pm; Sunday 11:00am-5:00pm; Thursdays open until 9pm
- Admission: $14 for adults; $10 for seniors; $5 for college students and youth 6-18; free for children 5 and under and UR students, faculty, and staff
- Location: Memorial Art Gallery
- Address: 500 University Avenue Rochester, NY 14607-1484
For the collaborative artists Sandra Gibson and Luis Recoder, a film is not an event that unfolds over time, but a particular material experience.
In the two works on view, Light Spill and Threadbare, the artists dismantle the components of the filmmaking system (celluloid, projector, screen, and light) and recombine them in new ways. As Gibson’s and Recoder’s work suggests, film is not only about images, storytelling and entertainment, but also possesses optical, mechanical, and sculptural dimensions.