David Levinthal: War, Myth, Desire
- Dates: June 2, 2018 - December 30, 2018
- Recurrence: Recurring weekly on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday
- Times: Regular museum hours
- Admission: Free to members; included with museum admission
- Location: George Eastman Museum
- Address: 900 East Avenue Rochester, NY 14607-2298
- Web Site: https://www.eastman.org/david-levinthal-war-myth-desire
David Levinthal: War, Myth, Desire is the first museum retrospective of the artist’s work in more than twenty years. The exhibition will include nearly 200 prints, along with related books and ephemera, giving visitors a unique opportunity to consider Levinthal’s most recent work alongside key works from the full scope of his career.
Since the mid-1970s, David Levinthal has been exploring the relationship between photographic imagery and the fantasies, myths, events, and characters that shape contemporary America’s mental landscape. The exhibition will include photographs from all of his major series to date—the best-known of which include Hitler Moves East (1972–75), Modern Romance (1983–85), The Wild West (1986–89), Desire (1991–92), Blackface (1995–98), Barbie (1997–98), Baseball (1998–2004), and History (2010–15)—in addition to never-before-exhibited outtakes, commissions, and archival materials.