St. Patrick's Day Roundup
Friday, March 11, 2016 12:00 PM by Visit Rochester Staff
In Rochester, N.Y. celebrating St. Patrick's Day is part of our city's story. Rochester is a city on the famous Erie Canal, which was built by Irish Immigrants for the purpose of commerce generations ago. Today the Erie Canal is a tourist attraction and remains a testament to their hard work, ingenuity, and engineering. While we wait for the canal to open for the spring season, Rochester is ready to celebrate all its Irish pride this weekend with both exciting adult and family friendly events.
Don your brightest green and join us Saturday March 12th in Downtown Rochester for the Annual Rochester St. Patrick's Day parade. It all starts at 12:30 pm at the corner of East Avenue and Scio Street, with the parade continuing down Main Street. See all the colorful characters, local organizations, and musicians march through downtown Rochester with gleeful Irish fanfare.
Ready to get into the St. Patrick's Day spirit? Here are even more ways to celebrate St. Patrick's Day in Rochester, NY.
- Start Friday, March 11th with Irish Night at the Rochester Americans Hockey Game as they take on the Utica Comets. Start the night off with a pre-game happy hour with live Irish music by the band 1916. The team will be wearing special green jerseys that will be auctioned off during the game.
- During and following the parade on March 12th, join the Radisson Hotel Rochester Riverside for the Family Celtic Faire from 11:00 am-4:00 pm. Featuring Irish dance performances, a magician, petting zoo, photo booth, hair braiding, temporary tattoos and craft stations, plus other fun, family oriented activities. It all ends with a great performance from a pipe band!
- Beginning at noon March 12th, Flour City Station on East Avenue (near the parade route) will be hosting a rocking St. Patrick's Day Bash with live music featuring Sisters of Murphy, Jumbo Shrimp, Zac Brown Tribute Band, This Is A Call, and Lounge Act.
- It's so easy to be green, at least the National Museum of Play at the Strong thinks so and they want visitors of all ages to stop by for a green filled weekend. Meet a mysterious "green character," participate in interactive story readings and leave with your own special green craft.
- Head over to Casa Larga Vineyards for the start of the second annual Fairport Wine, Beer and Whiskey Crawl. Starting from 12:00pm until 5:00pm on March 12th, visitors can enjoy hearty Irish foods paired with local wine, beer and whiskey at Casa Larga, Fairport Brewing and Towpath Cafe.
- Irish or not, everyone will enjoy the beer selection of both local and regional brews at these local favorite spots.
Victoire Belgian Beer Bar & Bistro
Even if you miss all the fun this weekend, we hope you will mark your calendar to join us next year here in Rochester for all the St. Patrick's Day fun!