5 Ways to Opt Outside in Rochester in the Summer
Tuesday, August 20, 2019 1:00 PM by Emily Hessney Lynch
There are so many fantastic ways to spend time outside in Rochester in the summer! Since the season is shorter, locals and tourists alike are always ambitiously aiming to get the most out of it. Here are our top five ways to opt outside in Rochester this summer:
1. Learn something new and get outside at the same time with a Rochester Brainery class! They offer walking tours of various historic areas in Rochester where you can learn about the area and its architecture while basking in the fresh air. Corn Hill is on deck for September--don’t miss it!
2. Head towards the lake and spend a day at Seabreeze- one of the oldest family-owned amusement parks in the world! Their infamous Jackrabbit roller coaster turns 100 in 2020, and there will certainly be celebrations. One of the best parts of visiting this delightful park is the amazing views you’ll get of Lake Ontario from the top of the rides. It’s scenic and a blast to visit! Make sure you bring your swimsuit, as they also have water slides and a wave pool.
3. Play a round of disc golf! There are a dozen courses around the Greater Rochester area, and it’s a great way to spend time with friends or family, take a walk, enjoy a park, and savor the sunshine. Ellison Park’s course is a crowd pleaser, winding through tall trees and meandering up and down grassy hills.
4. Catch a Rochester Red Wings game! Grab a seat in the stands or in one of the grassy areas, devour some delectable eats, like trash plates in mini trash cans or a fried chicken and waffle cone, and enjoy a local beer with it. It’s never been more fun to root, root, root for the home team--especially since this year they are occasionally featuring a canine bat boy!
5. Hop on a boat and take a ride on the Sam Patch. You can cruise the Erie Canal or Genesee River, all while learning about the history of the area. You can even pass through a century-old lock!
When you get hungry and are looking for outdoor eats, we’ve got you covered. Check out our previous post highlighting some of the best outdoor dining options around the city.
See you outside! Bring your sunscreen and a smile.